Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

What's love?

What’s love? Can you tell me?
The head-dizzying flutter of the heart at the mention of your man’s name, maybe?
I ask the question of you, you, and you…Because looking through the magnifying glass, what I’m seeing has me confused, and feeling blue
Is love a four letter word that deludes the head?Or perhaps, it is the anguish that engulfs a mother’s belly at the sight of her sick child with beads of sweat on her forehead, shivering in bed
The smiling face of a brother that contorts quickly, turns around, and stabs you in the back?
Or the voice that says, “Good luck,” but in her head, she wants nothing but for you to stumble and fall in the dark?
A MOMENT PLEASE, A TEAR STREAKS DOWN MY RIGHT CHEEK, BUT I WON’T WIPE IT AWAY. I’LL ONLY SNIFF, AND LET IT DRY IN THE FOUL SMELLING BREEZE
Is it the heart piercing sight of your fiancée and your best friend in bed, his phallus in her hands, her eyes closed by ecstasy, while she sucks?
Is it the finger that points quickly, judging, saying, “Oh, he’s such a fool,”
But in the same situation, in the same shoes, you’d only last a mile or two?
Am I hitting too close to home?
Have you done any of these, does it get to your bone?
Could love be listening to your mistress giggle, lying to you you’re a hulk, while your wife cries in the melancholic zone?
Are you saying I should leave you alone?
Oh, but why? Trust me, I don’t mean to cloak your being with guilt
I’m just curious, eager to know if love shares a frontier with choking filth.

Copyright © David Kwakye 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment